Friday, March 22, 2013

Understanding Wikipedia and Wikimedia



 
 
I would encourage any learner to use Wikipedia as a starting point and I think that it is alright if the information has some flaws. Investigating, discovering and correcting flaws can be a great learning method and can be motivating as learners gain a sense of self worth correcting others. I never used Wikipedia or any wiki before this class. However, as this class continues and afterward, I will revisit the help menus to learn more about editing, linking and adding content. If I ever find myself teaching high school to adult students again, I definite will use this as an instructional tool for I believe adults learn better when they are allowed to construct their own knowledge in a flexible collaborative environment.
  

1 comment:

  1. I only used Wikipedia before, but I have not used the other Wikimedia site before taking this class. I think you are right, these sites should be used to investigate, discover and learn about a new idea/issue/topic. However, not relying on a Wikipedia article as definitive source is important. I agree discovering the flaws can be a great learning experience.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete